Sunday, June 1, 2008

2008 MIAC


Oh yeah, we had the MIAC Conference meet this weekend, too. After I got my second automatic qualifying time (5000m) at the Gina Relays, I was able to relax and “just race” for the rest of the season. I didn’t have the same added pressure of chasing a time that I did my previous three years – freshman and sophomore year in the 1500, last year in the 5000. It also made the conference meet much more tolerable (considering the cold, rainy weather on Saturday), even enjoyable for me. I think I was able to use my competitors’ disappointment about the less than ideal conditions to my advantage. All three races ended about as well as I could have hoped going into the meet. I finished second (to Kelly) in the 10K, first in the steeplechase, and another first towards the end of the meet in the 5K. We still ended up falling to the Tommies by about 20 points, but I have no regrets about racing 18,000 meters in two days, two weeks before nationals. If things would have went a little differently, we would have had a solid shot to win the meet. It was also really fun, lining up three different times with numerous teammates (eight total in the 5K) with team points that actually matter at stake. Even though we finished second as a team, I would consider this year’s conference meet a success.

No comments: